If you're unhappy with the appearance of your teeth, porcelain veneers may be the solution you've been waiting for. Porcelain veneers can address a wide variety of dental issues to create a beautiful, flawless looking smile. To find out if you're a candidate for porcelain veneers, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Chicago, IL cosmetic dentist Margaret Mitchell.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin, tooth-shaped dental restorations that fit over the front surface of the teeth, effectively masking flaws and improving overall aesthetics. Veneers are made of dental porcelain, which is durable, stain resistant, and closely matches the qualities of the natural teeth. Each porcelain veneer is custom-made to the desired shade, shape, and size.
Porcelain veneer treatment generally requires two dental visits after the initial consultation to complete the treatment. During the first visit, the dentist prepares the teeth and takes impressions. The impressions are sent to a dental lab where the veneers will be made; temporary veneers are placed in the interim. Once the veneers are complete, about two to three weeks later, another dental visit is needed to remove the temporary veneers and bond the finished veneers in place.
Candidates for Porcelain Veneers
A wide range of dental issues can be corrected with porcelain veneers. However, porcelain veneers treatment is not suitable for all patients. In general, candidates for porcelain veneers should have healthy teeth and gums while also suffering from cosmetic dental issues. Patients in poor oral health or who suffer from major dental issues are typically better suited to alternative treatments. Candidates for porcelain veneers include those who experience such dental issues as:
- Tooth discoloration: In cases of intrinsic tooth discoloration, teeth whitening may not able to achieve the desired shade of white. Porcelain veneers can be fabricated in any shade of white to create a luminous, vibrant, white smile.
- Gaps between teeth: Gaps between the teeth can be closed quickly and without the need for traditional orthodontics using porcelain veneers. The veneers can be made in a greater width to fill in tooth gaps.
- Mild alignment issues: Those with mild alignment issues may be suitable candidates for porcelain veneers as instant orthodontics.
- Dental wear from teeth grinding: Untreated teeth grinding can wear the teeth down, leaving the teeth vulnerable to decay and further damage. Porcelain veneers can be used to restore the appearance and protect the health of teeth damaged by teeth grinding.
- Misshaped teeth: Those who feel self-conscious about the appearance of teeth that are unevenly shaped can benefit from porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers can be crafted in any shape to create an even, uniform smile.
- Oversized or undersized teeth: The appearance of teeth that are too big or too small can be improved with porcelain veneers.
- Minor chips or fractures: Teeth damaged by minor chips or fractures may be repaired with porcelain veneers.